Employment Discrimination FAQs | Brown Kwon & Lam

Related Blogs

May 17, 2022

What Rights Does the EEOC Provide to a Caregiver?

Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, many people have had to take on additional obligations to care for...


May 12, 2022

What is an Independent Contractor?

Today, many people want flexibility in their careers. They want more control over what hours they...


May 6, 2022

What Rights Do Employees with Disabilities Have?

According to the CDC, 26% of adults in the United States, nearly one in four, have...


Did you know that from 1997 to 2018 there were 1,889,631 discrimination complaints filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission? With that level of frequency, many employees in New York likely have questions about employment discrimination. At Brown Kwon & Lam, we know how challenging these situations can be which is why we’ve created an employment discrimination FAQ.

How do I know if I’ve been discriminated against?

Sometimes, you may wonder if the conduct by your employer or coworkers qualifies as discrimination or just being a poor team player. However, if you feel that you have been treated unfairly because of your status as a member of a protected class (ie. race, gender, sex, religion, national origin, disability, etc.), you likely have a claim.

In addition, if your employer’s or coworkers’ conduct involved sexual gestures or propositioning, you likely have a claim.

Do I need an attorney for employment discrimination?

Though you can file a claim for employment discrimination without an attorney, it is often a good idea as your employer may try to turn the tables on you or settle for a lesser amount than you deserve as to not create a PR nightmare.

Settling out of court is common, which is why it’s important to have an attorney by your side who can help you negotiate what is right and just for your suffering.

How long do I have to file an employment discrimination complaint?

If you are filing with the New York Division of Human Rights, you have one year to file your complaint. However, an attorney will be able to determine if you can file a complaint out of state depending on the circumstances of your case.

What accommodations does my employer need to provide to me?

If you have a disability or are pregnant and need accommodation, your employer is required to provide a reasonable accommodation that does not cause undue hardship to the employer.

Be mindful, you may need to provide medical documentation to show what is reasonable.

What happens if I’m retaliated against for filing a discrimination complaint?

Many individuals think that retaliation only occurs when you are a whistleblower however, you may be subject to retaliation for reporting, filing, or participating in a discrimination or sexual harassment claim as well as for reporting wrongdoing by an employer.

If you are retaliated against, know that you can seek justice by seeking legal advice from a New York retaliation attorney.

Am I protected under the ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act)?

You are protected by the ADA if you have:

A mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities such as breathing, walking, hearing, seeing, or speaking; or
Have a record of this type of impairment or is viewed as having such an impairment

For more information about disability discrimination, visit our website.

What am I given in employment discrimination cases if successful?

If your employment discrimination case is successful, you may receive damages for:

  • Back pay and front pay
  • Attorney fees
  • Health insurance
  • Retirement packages and benefits
  • Salary
  • Pension
  • Owed vacation pay

Does my employer need to tell me why I was fired?

New York is an at-will employment state meaning your employer can discharge you at any time for any reason or no reason at all, so long as the firing is not illegal retaliation or discrimination.

Who can help me in my employment discrimination case?

When you suspect you are being treated unfairly by an employer or coworker as a result of discrimination, know that you don’t have to stand by as it happens. The New York employment discrimination attorneys of Brown Kwon & Lam have experience fighting for employees in New York City and New York State.

Contact our firm at (718) 971-0326 or contact us online for a free consultation. We’ll fight for you.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.